Documentation - Installation
Before installing Refract DNS you must have the follow prerequisite:
- Your Windows user account can run applications with elevated or admin permissions on your local system.
The instructions below will guide you through the installation and setup process for Refract DNS.
- To install Refract DNS download the installer from the Download page.
- Double click on the installer to run. The installer will ask you where you wish to install the application and agree to the End User License Agreement.
- After completing the installation you should see the Refract DNS icon in your system tray and the Refract DNS Manager will launch. When the Refract DNS Manager runs you will be prompted for elevated permissions, this is normal. For more information on why this is required see the FAQ.
- If this your first installation you will be prompted to activate your license. If you do not have a license you can purchase a license or use a free trial license.
- After completing the licensing activation process you will enter the setup process detailed below.
- Once you have completed the license activation process you will start the Refract DNS setup process. On the Settings screen you only need to configure any custom Upstream DNS servers. Upsteam DNS servers are used by Refract DNS if it unable to handle a DNS query. By default Google's Public DNS is used which has the IPs 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168. For more information on the other options see the Settings documentation.
- Next you will see the Refract DNS Control Panel and the Hosts File Importer. The Hosts File Importer allows you to import DNS entries configured in the Windows Hosts File. Once you have imported any host entries you can start taking control of your DNS.
- To learn more about using Refract DNS visit the Tutorials section.